The story of Moove & Groove began over 5 years ago as I began looking at new ways to create a social impact in areas that matter.
An initial simple idea, running silent disco dances with youth as a fundraiser, made me notice the amazing physical and mental health benefits for EVERYONE involved. Everyone was so HAPPY after dancing with us!
So shortly afterwards when studying Social Impact at UNSW, when tasked with creating an innovative concept to help alleviate the mental health issues in our seniors community, their sense of loneliness and isolation, the leap was easy. Why not senior silent disco dancing? Everyone is still young at heart!
With the initial support of NSW government grants, qualified music therapists and exercise physiologists the Moove & Groove program was created. A pilot study proved the concept not only worked, but was much needed solution that addressed the mental health and physical well-being of seniors. And did so in a fun, engaging and innovative way.
A chain reaction followed, connecting others across the community, quickly igniting new ideas and expanding offerings to address related needs.
What followed first was
- A specific program for dementia patients. Working with our early adopter partners – Twlight Aged Care and RSL village Narrabeen – who continually iterates our program.
- The early Partnership with Australian Catholic University ACU, allowed us to measure outcomes right from the start and as we evolve.
What’s been key to our success is making sure our solutions are simple;
Existing online media is too complex for many older generations. Solutions need to have multidisciplinary best practices baked in, yet also need to be affordable and scalable; aged care providers and staff just don’t have the time or money, nor the resources or expertise to provide ongoing physical and mental health activities 24/7.
Our carefully curated content and program offering keeps expanding.
Our base platform of over 1000 podcasts and 250 music playlists continues to expand.
Most recently during COVID we have expanded to include:
- An entirely new section of over 400 videos addressing seniors interests. Be that history, gardening, armchair travel, religious services, karaoke and much more.
- A 6 week training program lead by industry specialists to fully engage staff and residents with the program
- A virtual visitor program to enable staff to book and manage virtual family visits
A recent grant has allowed us to build out and trial a palliative care module in our program.
We’re also excited about our new intergenerational program which connects seniors with children via amazing drawings and videos.
Our reach and impact is expanding too
We now proudly operate in locations around Australia from McKay to Launceston. Our programs run in over 100 facilities across Australia and make an impact in so many seniors lives – every single day.
Our Team and Community
I am proud of our amazing growing team of paid and volunteer staff here at Moove & Groove who have helped build this great social purpose organisation. We’ve delightfully built a wonderful community of residents and supportive staff in facilities across Australia.
We look forward to bringing joy to more people in the future.